Master of Engineering degree in Transportation Engineering and Pavement Design, Texas A&M University; Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University.
As the president and senior engineer of Urban Engineering, Tom Schmidt assumes responsibility for all major projects in which the firm is involved and actively participates in the direction of all facets of operations. Since the founding of Urban Engineering in 1981, Mr. Schmidt has managed the firm and serves as its chief engineer. Prior to 1981, he had served nine years with the City of Victoria, first as Traffic Engineer and later as Director of Transportation and Urban Development. During these years, he developed the Master Thoroughfare Plan for the City of Victoria, which included projected traffic flows, proposed rights-of-way, and pavement widths. He also initialized and administered the development of a Master Drainage Plan for the City of Victoria.
Mr. Schmidt has managed and orchestrated a multitude of residential development, site development, municipal public works and marine construction projects during his tenure with Urban Engineering. He has overseen the layouts for improvements to at least 15 major residential subdivisions and more than 30 site development projects in the cities of Victoria, Port Lavaca, Port O’Connor and Seadrift. Mr. Schmidt provided his professional engineering expertise for significant improvements to over 35 public works projects and several marine construction projects in Victoria, Matagorda, Calhoun and Jackson counties.
- Institute of Transportation Engineers
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Texas Surveyors Association
- National Society of Professional Engineers
- Texas Society of Professional Engineers
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Texas – #39213
- Registered Professional Land Surveyor in the State of Texas – #2458
- Victoria 100 Club (current member and past president from 2002-2003)
- Victoria Rotary Club (current member)
- Board member of the Victoria Economic Development Corporation (current)
- Past Board member of the Victoria/Calhoun County Foreign Trade Zone
- Past president of the Texas Society of Professional Engineers (local chapter) from 1987-88
- Coastal Conservation Association
- Texas A&M Former Students
- Texas A&M Century Club